The 9-months Bastion Specialist Training Phase is the last yet most important training component of the 12-months Bastion Risk Solution Operative Training Course. The 9-months Bastion Specialist Training Phase starts directly after your successful completion of the 3-months Bastion Selection Course.
The Bastion Specialist Training Phase is based on the Special Forces’ training standards and comprises of the following critical outcomes:
• Deployment Drills
• Basic Equestrian Training
• Offensive Driving Orientation
• Basic Intelligence
• Basic Investigation
• Tactical Rural Security
• Water Orientation
• Air Orientation
• African Bushcraft & Combat Survival
• Tactical Urban Security
• VIP Protection
• Qualification Parade
During the administration week, all course administation will be completed to the entire training year, including the completion of all accreditation papers, taking of picture, ect. We also conduct a site and area orientation, issue all equipment, and teach you how to:
• Wash and iron your clothes
• Correctly apply shoe lace
• Shine your boots and shoes
• Prepare an inspection bed
• Prepare an inspection cupboard
• Conduct cleaning and maintenance
Musketry and weapons proficiency is an essential core skill to any Risk Solutions Operative. To us at Bastion Akademie, we apply a non-compromising approach to weapon safety and the application of sound musketry principles. During the VIP and High-Risk Guarding Course, we spend quality time on the shooting range during which personal attention is paid to each and every student, ensuring that the musketry principles is soundly applied.
On successful completion of the 3-weeks Bastion Weapon Training Course, you will obtain the following accreditation (qualifications)
• SASSETA Legal Aspects
• SASSETA Handle and Use of a Handgun
• SASSETA Handle and Use of a Handgun for Business Purposes
• SASSETA Handle and Use of a Shotgun
• SASSETA Handle and Use of a Shotgun for Business Purposes
• SASSETA Handle and Use of a Manually-Operated Rifle
• SASSETA Handle and Use of a Manually-Operated Rifle for Business Purposes
• SASSETA Handle and Use of a Self-Loading Rifle
• SASSETA Handle and Use of a Self-Loading Rifle for Business Purposes
However, our Bastion Akademie Weapon Training Course teaches you the following skills with each weapon category, something rarely taught by any other weapon training institution:
• The Fundamentals of Musketry
• Safety Rules and Safety Precuations
• Stripping and Assembling (blindfolded against time)
• Cleaning and Maintenance
• Shooting Range Orientation and Procedures
• Basics of Tactical Combat Shooting
The 5-weeks VIP and High-Risk Guarding follows the Basic Weapon Training Course and underpins the basic, essential security skills required for conducting professional security work in your line of duty. The on successful completion of your VIP and High-Risk Guarding Course, you will acquire the PSIRA Grade E – A or the SASSETA Skills 1 – 3 qualification, depending which one is relevant to the Security Regulator (PSIRA) at the time.
During your VIP and High-Risk Guarding Course, you will learn:
• Pack and carry your personal combat equipment according to Special Forces’ standards.
• To handle, operate, clean and maintain security equipment.
• Ethics and Etiquette
• Legal Aspects
• Court Procedures and Giving Evidence
• Radio and Telephone Communication
• Recognition of Terrorist Weapons
• Observation, Guarding and Patrolling
• Access and Egress Control
• Searches and Search Procedures
• Cooperation With the South African Security Forces
Map reading and land navigation are core skills of any Risk Solutions Operative: In your line of duty, you not only have to plot a land navigation course for vehicle movement and for foot patrols, but also have to correctly plot Landing Zones (LZ’s) for fixed-wing aircraft and loose-wing aircraft (helicopters; gyrocopters; etc.).
During the 2-weeks Map Reading, Land Navigation and Air Photo Interpretation Course you will learn to:
• Prepare a map for tactical security operations.
• Plot your position on a map.
• Plot a navigation course.
• Navigate with instruments (map and compass).
• Navigate without instruments, i.e. navigation by means of the sun, moon, stars, nature, etc.
• Conduct elementary (basic) air photo interpretation by identifying basic natural land artificial features.
• Tactical navigation by day and night.
Fieldcraft is an entry level skill to all tactical bush-related training and operations. During our 3-weeks Fieldcraft Course you will learn to:
• Prepare and pack your personal equipment for bush operations.
• Camouflage and concealment of yourself, your weapon, your personal equipment, vehicles and aircraft.
• Correctly and accurately judge distance as to apply sound musketry.
• Fire control and fire discipline.
• Immediate Action (IA) Drills
• Preparing an improvised perimeter by means of digging combat trenches (fighting positions).
• Temporary Bases (TB’s)
• Applying sound tactical movement skills.
• Cross obstacles such as fences, wires, ditches, minefields by means of prodding, etc.
• Range Maps
During our 3-weeks Fieldcraft Course, you will experience an operational tempo you never imagined as we need to hone and imbed the aforesaid Fieldcraft skills, most especially for the upcoming Vasbyt. It is most especially during this course that you will learn to rely on yourself, your equipment and on your training.
The daily routine activities refer to all other training and activities not necessarily included in any of the aforesaid courses and which not only still form an essential part of the entire training program, but which also form part of the make-up and training of a Risk Solutions Operative. These skills and activities include:
• Discipline and the respect for seniors, elders, ladies and somebody else’s property.
• Physical Training (marble PT; pole PT; fitness progress tests; long-distance walking; combat PT; rifle PT; etc.)
• Food preparation and presentation.
• Conducting guard and sentry duties.
• Accepting responsibility for one’s actions and for others’ property.
• Cleaning and maintenance.
• Operating hand tools (spades, picks, gardening equipment, tools and spanners, etc.).
• Quiet Time, reflection and spiritual growth.